A Message From John image:: 22 x 32 collection
Slat-Backs image: 22 x 32
"Power Tools for Powerful Paintings"
Gloria Miller Allen's Workshop
Concentrated Lessons on:
Great Paintings have Great Design
Everyone Starts as a Beginner
image: 10 x 10 Lawrence Gallery
If Your Group is Interested
in a Workshop:
Besides being full of content, my workshops aim to build confidence, give encouragement, inspiration, poetry, and fun.
- Power Point Lessons every morning
- Lots of handouts
- Assigned challenges
- Academic Studies
- Critiques (only if you choose to participate)
- Slide Show
- Freedom and encouragement to be your own creative self
- Pushing for
your own artistic growth and goals
- Capitalizing on your own strengths
- Working on your own weaknesses.
- Color: harmony, theory, and mixing
- Values: using contrast for power in your work
- Design: composing your paintings with care, intention,
and intuition whether you are using sketches, photos, or your own imagination.
- Perspective: a practical layman's lessons that
will help give confidence to your work.
- Techniques: glazing, dry brush, wet-in-wet.
- Tricks of the trade.
I paint many subjects, but to me, it is all about design. No matter the subject, real or abstract, my main concern is the composition.
In my workshops we spend much time on design. Design can encompass virtually any style from non-objective abstract to
the most detailed reality. It is never my goal in class to influence your personal or preferred style ~ only to enhance it.
We all want to make better choices earlier on in our work. My workshop aims to give you tools to do just that.
Please feel free to contact me either by e-mail or phone. It is easy to just talk about the possibilities with no obligations.
Click on the Contact Me button.
- It works fine to have a mixed group of students. Often groups consist of a few inexperienced people and a few professionals,
but it works. Everyone learns from everyone ~ including me.
- People worry about being a beginner, but it is not a problem.
My workshop has many academic studies and usually after the first hour or so, beginners feel comfortable. I find professionals often
more willing to spend an entire day digging deeply into color, value or design than the beginners because they recognize the value
of doing so. Therefore, I truly welcome any and all persons willing to work toward bettering their skill and confidence.
- I believe art is an eternal challenge. You never reach perfection, but you never want to stop reaching. We all fit
in there somewhere.
- The objective of my workshops is to take growth steps toward your personal goals....No matter how far along the
artistic journey you are today.
Vermont Watercolor Society
Landgrove Inn - Landgrove, Vermont
May 21-25, 2018
Contact: Joey Bibeau
1 802 879 3965
Lac du Flambeau, WI
Contact: Sue Robertson
715 588 3143
Art Museum of Eastern Idaho
Idaho Falls, Idaho
June 6 -9, 2018
Contact: Alexa Stanger
208 524 7777
Watercolor Series Workshop
Laramie County Community College
June 2 - 7, 2019
Contact: Lisa Murphy
307 778 1110
Click on the Image
Short Demonstration Video
Filmed at a Dillman's Workshop
" Finding the Light"